Italian Chicken Sausage and Orzo Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, brown the sausages in 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic and wine; cook 1 minute longer, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, capers, oregano, basil, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in orzo and sausage; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Italian Chicken Sausage and Orzo
Sort By :
"This was very good and very simple. I was unable to find Italian chicken sausage so I just used turkey sausage. I also used some condensed chicken broth I had in the refrigerator from another recipe. I also used a 28 oz can of drained diced tomatoes."
"This dish was unique and a big hit with my family."
"This was so delicious. I used shredded chicken rather than sausage. I doubled the recipe to feed four people well. I only added a 14oz can of tomatoes and doubled the chicken broth. It was so delicious!!!! I even made with gluten free orzo."