Italian Chicken Sausage and Orzo Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, brown the sausages in 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic and wine; cook 1 minute longer, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- 3. Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, capers, oregano, basil, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in orzo and sausage; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup: 363 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 838mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Italian Chicken Sausage and Orzo
"This was really good and super easy to throw together! I used a whole box of small pasta shells instead of the orzo, and Italian style chopped tomatoes along with the juice (left out the broth). We also decided to just throw in the whole little jar of capers since we love them so much, so that was more like 5 tbsp. Also, I don't really think the whole step of boiling the tomatoes, etc. is really necessary - we just tossed all the ingredients together with the hot pasta, and it was heated through just fine for us. Will definitely make this one again!"
"This dish was unique and a big hit with my family."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.