Streamline any weeknight with this pretty main dish full of pleasing flavors. Chop the pepper ahead and pick up sliced mushrooms, and you’ll have this microwaved in moments. —Laura Mahaffey, Annapolis, Maryland
Recommended: 50 Chicken Recipes in a 13x9 Pan
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 6 slices deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Place butter and sage in a microwave-safe 11-in. x 7-in. dish. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 30 seconds or until butter is melted. Place chicken in dish; turn to coat. Top with green pepper and mushrooms. Cook, uncovered, on high for 8-10 minutes or until chicken juices run clear, turning and rearranging chicken twice.
- Remove chicken and vegetables; keep warm. Add the tomato sauce, sugar and seasonings to cooking juices; mix well. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes or until heated through. Return chicken to the dish; top with ham, cheese and green pepper mixture. Cook on high for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Chicken Cordon Bleu in Simple & Delicious June/July 2011, p29
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Chicken Cordon Bleu
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review