- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups chardonnay
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked pasta
- Shredded Romano cheese
- Combine the paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne; sprinkle over chicken. Place the chicken, mushrooms, red pepper, onion and artichokes in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the chardonnay, tomato paste, garlic and thyme; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender. Stir in parsley. Serve with pasta; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Italian Chicken Chardonnay
"Nice flavors , next time i will use thighs and drums and more garlic , I will also add poultry season on the chicken pieces"
"Great recipe! Thanks for submitting"
"I was truly disappointed in the outcome of this recipe. Followed the recipe as specified. Although I enjoy all of the ingredients, the combination is an undesirable taste."
"We didn't care for this recipe. It did not have enough flavor and the chardonnay left a bitter aftertaste. We used boneless chicken breasts but I don't think that was what affected the flavors"
"I made this with pinot grigio instead of chardonnay. It was very good, the only thing I might try next time is using boneless chicken (breasts & thighs) and adjusting the time accordingly. It was really easy and tasty."
"Made this New Year's Day and was very impressed. Quite delicious. Only changes I made was after 5 hours in crock pot on low, I diced up the chicken and returned to pot and added 1 bag of frozen style veggies of choice. Cooked for 1 more hour. Great flavor and aroma!"
"Definitly a "keeper" at my house. I did make it in a skillet 'cause I didn't plan ahead. I browned the chicken breasts first, removed them and cooked the veg's a bit, added the breasts back, poured the sauce over and simmered it awhile. That's probably how the original was done, I'm thinking. It had lots of great flavor. Oh, I didn't have leftover Chardonnay so used some over the hill for drinking Gewurztraminer. That worked just fine."
"I use boneless,skinless chicken thighs,cook until they are done with all the vege's included.Be sure to take off the hard outer leaves of the artichoke hearts,I find they are tough and hard to eat but the rest are delicious.Good recipe even with the changes."
"I make this very often...ocassionally I use penne pasta instead of linguine. Its always a favorite in my house.also its a very forgiving base sauce as long as u season good with garlic. ...ive even left out thyme and replaced with a tsp or so of Italian seasoning. ...a great delicious crock pot / slow cooker recipe! Ty"