My aunt created this recipe, and the whole family has been enjoying it for years now. It's equally good with Polish or Italian sausage.
- 1 turkey Italian sausage links (about 1/4 pound), casing removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- Crumble sausage into a skillet; add onion and celery. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. Sprinkle chicken with paprika. In the same skillet, cook chicken in oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear; remove and set aside.
- Return sausage mixture to the skillet. Add the broth, bouillon, garlic, rice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chicken and mushrooms; cook 5 minutes longer or until rice is done and chicken is heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Italian Chicken Casserole in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p156
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Chicken Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review