- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and marjoram
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds and/or grated Parmesan cheese
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. square. Combine butter and seasonings; spread over dough. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Fold dough into thirds. Cut widthwise into 24 strips, 1/2 in. each. Twist each strip twice; pinch ends to seal. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. In a small bowl, beat egg and water; brush over the twists. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Italian Cheese Twists in Taste of Home April/May 1995, p29
Reviews for Italian Cheese Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 19, 2013
"The cheese melted and dripped off the cookie sheet I had them on. Next if I make them I would put them on a jelly roll pan. Made a mess and set off alarms in house."
Reviewed Mar. 2, 2010
"My family loves these twists! We make them often."