Italian Cheese Twists Recipe
My family loves breadsticks, and this recipe was an immediate success. The breadsticks look delicate and fancy, but they aren't tricky to make using prepared bread dough. We love the herb flavor. -Marna Heitz, Farley, Iowa
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and marjoram
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds and/or grated Parmesan cheese
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. square. Combine butter and seasonings; spread over dough. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Fold dough into thirds. Cut widthwise into 24 strips, 1/2 in. each. Twist each strip twice; pinch ends to seal. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. In a small bowl, beat egg and water; brush over the twists. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Italian Cheese Twists in Taste of Home April/May 1995, p29
Reviews for Italian Cheese Twists(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 19, 2013
The cheese melted and dripped off the cookie sheet I had them on. Next if I make them I would put them on a jelly roll pan. Made a mess and set off alarms in house.
Reviewed Mar. 2, 2010
My family loves these twists! We make them often.