Italian Cheese Turkey Burgers Recipe
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 3 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, halved
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Ketchup and mustard, optional
- 1. Place tomatoes in a small bowl; add boiling water. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the egg white, bread crumbs, onion, ketchup, basil, parsley, mustard, garlic, oregano and Italian seasoning. Drain and chop tomatoes; add to egg white mixture. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into six burgers.
- 3. Place in a 15-in. x. 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Top with cheese; bake 1-2 minutes longer or until melted. Serve on buns with ketchup and mustard if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 burger (calculated without optional condiments) equals 362 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 698 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.