- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 3 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, halved
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Ketchup and mustard, optional
- Place tomatoes in a small bowl; add boiling water. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg white, bread crumbs, onion, ketchup, basil, parsley, mustard, garlic, oregano and Italian seasoning. Drain and chop tomatoes; add to egg white mixture. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into six burgers.
- Place in a 15-in. x. 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Top with cheese; bake 1-2 minutes longer or until melted. Serve on buns with ketchup and mustard if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Cheese Turkey Burgers
"The flavor of the burgers was good, the texture was on the soft side, not firm like a beef burger would be. Maybe I would add the whole egg and more bread crumbs. It's worth trying again , it just needs a more firm consistency."