Italian Cheese-Stuffed Shells Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 21 jumbo pasta shells, cooked and drained
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion and peppers over medium heat 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 4-5 minutes until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer Stir in water, tomatoes, tomato paste and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine eggs, ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Stuff into shells. Spread 1 cup vegetable sauce in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange shells over sauce; top with remaining sauce.
- 3. Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 7 servings.
3 each: 351 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 457mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Italian Cheese-Stuffed Shells
"I'm afraid that we found this meal to be just average, but I did appreciate the home-made sauce with fresh peppers."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.