Italian Cheese-Stuffed Shells Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 21 jumbo pasta shells, cooked and drained
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion and peppers over medium heat 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 4-5 minutes until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer Stir in water, tomatoes, tomato paste and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine eggs, ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Stuff into shells. Spread 1 cup vegetable sauce in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange shells over sauce; top with remaining sauce.
- 3. Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 7 servings.
3 each: 351 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 457mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Italian Cheese-Stuffed Shells
"This was delicious! The only thing that would make it any better is some ground beef in the sauce! LOL. It was excellent, though. The sauce was so good with all the fresh vegetables. Very, very good. My whole family loved it."
"I'm afraid that we found this meal to be just average, but I did appreciate the home-made sauce with fresh peppers."