Italian Cenci Cookies Recipe
My mother brought this special family recipe from Europe a century ago, Cenci can be "dressed up" for any holiday—at Easter, I sprinkle yellow, pink and lavender jelly beans over them, and for Christmas, red and green candy sprinkles give the cenci a festive look. Even without the garnish, they always disappear fast!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, softened
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar and salt until frothy. Stir in vanilla. Sift flour with baking powder; gradually add to batter. Add butter and mix well. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead for 10 minutes. Divide dough in half; roll each half as thin as possible (noodle thickness). Cut into 5-in. x 1-in. strips with a knife or scalloped pastry wheel.
- 2. Preheat oil to 375°; fry cookies until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cookies are best served the same day. Yield: about 4 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC