Italian Casserole Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cans (8-3/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) wide noodles, cooked and drained
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into strips
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook sausage, beef, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add corn and olives. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in noodles.
- 2. Pour into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Top with cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 each: 273 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein .
Reviews for Italian Casserole
"This recipe was given the thumbs up by all members of my family! However, the little ones complained that it was "spicy" so I would reduce the pepper next time."
"Made it for my son's birthday party, it was a crowd pleaser! :)"
"I've been making this wonderful casserole since the recipe was first published in Taste of Home. It's a good comfort food that my family requests often. It's easy to assemble so I can quickly put it together on busy week nights."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.