Italian Casserole Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cans (8-3/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) wide noodles, cooked and drained
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into strips
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook sausage, beef, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add corn and olives. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in noodles.
- 2. Pour into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Top with cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 each: 273 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Italian Casserole
"This recipe was given the thumbs up by all members of my family! However, the little ones complained that it was "spicy" so I would reduce the pepper next time."
"Made it for my son's birthday party, it was a crowd pleaser! :)"
"I've been making this wonderful casserole since the recipe was first published in Taste of Home. It's a good comfort food that my family requests often. It's easy to assemble so I can quickly put it together on busy week nights."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.