Italian Cabbage Casserole Recipe
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1. Place cabbage in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the beef, green pepper and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 3. Place half of the cabbage in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of beef mixture. Repeat layers (dish will be full). Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- 4. Serve immediately or before baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- 5. To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 223 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 438 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.