- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place cabbage in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the beef, green pepper and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place half of the cabbage in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of beef mixture. Repeat layers (dish will be full). Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve immediately or before baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Italian Cabbage Casserole
"This is wonderful; however, after reading several reviews I upped the seasonings, approximately tripled what's listed in the recipe, added about a teaspoon or so of hot sauce, sprinkled on some Mrs. Dash Tomato Basil Garlic, and since I didn't have any mozzarella cheese I substituted Swiss cheese and it was delicious. Since my hubs is a hunter I used ground venison instead of ground beef."
"I have been doing "unstuffed" cabbage for several years now. Wilting, stuffing, and wrapping the cabbage is so time consuming. This sounds like it could be an alternative flavor profile to my current version and will give it a try the next time I make it."
"I have made this recipe many times... We love it!!"
"This is my mothers recipe and I just finally made it for the first time.. Loved it.."
"I thought this was a bit bland the first night, so I just sprinkled some Nature's Seasons seasoning blend on mine, and it was delicious. But we had the leftovers the second night, and I really think it tasted even better leftover! My 4 year old really liked it, as well, and my husband said he enjoyed it a lot. We would definitely have it again."