- 2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 green pepper rings
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 slices smoked part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 ounce each)
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1/4 cup fresh baby spinach
- In a small bowl, combine the chili sauce, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into two patties; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook peppers in oil over medium heat until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, cook burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear, topping each with a pepper ring and cheese slice during the last 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta cheese and parsley; spread over bun bottoms. Top with spinach and burgers; replace tops. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Italian Burgers in Cooking for 2 Summer 2009, p39
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review