- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 7 large eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained, sliced and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan. Unroll one tube of crescent dough and separate into triangles. Press onto bottom of prepared pan to form a crust, sealing seams well. Bake 10-15 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach and mushrooms; cook and stir until mushrooms are tender. Drain on several layers of paper towels, blotting well. In a large bowl, whisk six eggs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Layer crust with half of each of the following: ham, salami, provolone cheese, red peppers and spinach mixture. Pour half of the egg mixture over top. Repeat layers; top with remaining egg mixture.
- On a work surface, unroll and separate remaining crescent dough into triangles. Press together to form a circle and seal seams; place over filling. Whisk remaining egg; brush over dough.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°, covering loosely with foil if needed to prevent overbrowning. Carefully loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove rim from pan. Let stand 20 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forItalian Brunch Torte
"This was really delicious. I had to omit the mushrooms but it still turned out beautifully."
"Wonderful! I didn't add salami because family doesn't like it. I carmelized onions before adding the mushrooms. I just added the spinach raw . That way I didn't have to worry about it being too wet. It steamed perfectly while baking."
"Absolutely delicious! As others recommended, I made it in a 9x13 pan and used 9 eggs total. I made it the night before and refrigerated it until the next evening when I served it as a light supper for company. I got it out of the fridge a few minutes before baking and baked it about 65 minutes. I then let it stand at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares and it served up beautifully. I will definitely be making this again."
"Was delicious, so flavorful, only problem was it was too much for just my husband and I, so I gave the rest to my daughter and her finance and they made it disappear. Thanks for the recipe."
"Wow! My new brunch favorite! So many wonderful flavors. I made it for New Years Day and wish I had put it together the evening before as a few other reviews had mentioned. Either way it was well worth the wait. Definitely make sure the spinach and mushrooms are well drained. I cannot wait to make this again! I've already told my mother this is going to be our new Christmas morning breakfast tradition."
"This was the most popular dish at my Easter brunch. Making it again next weekend for a crowd. I only use one jar of peppers."
"I've made this several times and it gets gobbled up every time. Great to make in advance and serve at room temperature. I follow the recipe except halve the red peppers and like that there are just tastes of spinach, mushrooms and the red peppers. Definitely blot well and cook to temperature, and then let sit so that everything firms up.I also put a little cooking spray on the foil so that if anything does leal out of the pan onto the foil, the foil doesn't stick. Depending on which pan I use, I put a parchment paper circle on the bottom of the pan so I can re,I've the torte and not scratch the bottom of the pan when slicing.Also as a couple of the people have mentioned, I do not bother to roll out the dough for the top,just pinch seams together and put it on top. I end up with some triangles overlapping a little or little gaps and it is easier and looks just fine."
"This was excellent. Thanks to those who mentioned the 13"x9" pan idea. I make breakfast casseroles and take to work for meetings a few times a year and it is much easier to transport that way. I used everything the same except substituted onions for mushrooms. Everyone loved it. Thank you for a great recipe!!"
"This is delicious!! Also good if you drain/pat dry some giardiniera mix & layer in. Delicious as cold leftovers, too!"
"I made this recipe for Christmas Eve dinner 2015. My family visited from KC and Everyone loved it!! I made it 2 days ahead and refrigerated it... It was perfect! It was a bit labor intensive as others have said but So worth it!I used pepperoni's and turkey ham for the meat.... Awesome/ I'm making it again for my Super Bowl party!!"