I have been making this dish for years. It is a great way to dress up broccoli, a colorful side dish with any roasted meats. I often steam the broccoli ahead of time, cool it quickly in cold water, drain and then, when ready to serve, warm it in the hot garlic oil.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli spears, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt to taste
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1
- in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or
- until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, combine the oil, garlic and pepper
- flakes if desired. Cook over low heat until garlic begins to brown,
- about 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Using a slotted spoon,
- remove garlic and discard. Add broccoli and toss to coat. Season
- with salt. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 96 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 30 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.