Italian Broccoli Cheese Bake Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli spears, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 1% small-curd cottage cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 1-in. of water, broccoli and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and pat dry.
- 2. In a blender, combine the cottage cheese, egg whites, Parmesan cheese, flour and Italian seasoning; cover and process until blended.
- 3. Place half of the broccoli in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of the cottage cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Spoon spaghetti sauce over the top; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 266 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 977 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.