I have been making this dish for years. It is a great way to dress up broccoli, a colorful side dish with any roasted meats. I often steam the broccoli ahead of time, cool it quickly in cold water, drain and then, when ready to serve, warm it in the hot garlic oil.
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli spears, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt to taste
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, combine the oil, garlic and pepper flakes if desired. Cook over low heat until garlic begins to brown, about 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, remove garlic and discard. Add broccoli and toss to coat. Season with salt. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Italian Broccoli in Reminisce Extra July 2006, p 52
Reviews for Italian Broccoli
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review