Italian Bread Wedges Recipe
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt, remaining water and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Pat dough flat. Let rest for 5 minutes. Press into a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Spread with salad dressing. Combine the garlic powder, oregano, thyme and pepper; sprinkle over dough. Top with cheeses.
- 4. Bake at 450° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 12 slices.
1 slice: 146 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat.
Reviews for Italian Bread Wedges
"This bread is delicious! I used frozen pizza dough and fresh parmesan and it turned out excellant."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.