Italian Bread Twists Recipe
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- PIZZA DIPPING SAUCE:
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, 1-1/2 teaspoons oil and honey to 120-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened.
- 2. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3. Roll into a 9-in. square. Cut into 1-in. strips. Twist each strip and place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Combine butter and remaining oil; brush over dough.
- 4. Combine Parmesan cheese, parsley and garlic salt; sprinkle over dough. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Serve with warm breadsticks. Yield: 9 breadsticks.
1 each: 180 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 346mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Italian Bread Twists
"I made these tonight and accidentally added all 6 tsp of oil to the mix, I just went with it and they were great I also crushed a garlic clove and added it to the mix. After dinner I realized that my pizza crust calls for 2 Tablespoons oil so I will just do that again. I brushed it with fresh crushed garlic and olive oil and put butter on them before I served them. They were great!"
"Just average. Not enough garlic. Was not as tender as our bread twists at the pizza parlor. If I made them again, I would put garlic in the butter and brush on after they came out of the oven."