Italian Bread Twists Recipe
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- PIZZA DIPPING SAUCE:
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, 1-1/2 teaspoons oil and honey to 120-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened.
- 2. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3. Roll into a 9-in. square. Cut into 1-in. strips. Twist each strip and place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Combine butter and remaining oil; brush over dough.
- 4. Combine Parmesan cheese, parsley and garlic salt; sprinkle over dough. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Serve with warm breadsticks. Yield: 9 breadsticks.
1 each: 180 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 346mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Italian Bread Twists
"I made these tonight and accidentally added all 6 tsp of oil to the mix, I just went with it and they were great I also crushed a garlic clove and added it to the mix. After dinner I realized that my pizza crust calls for 2 Tablespoons oil so I will just do that again. I brushed it with fresh crushed garlic and olive oil and put butter on them before I served them. They were great!"
"Just average. Not enough garlic. Was not as tender as our bread twists at the pizza parlor. If I made them again, I would put garlic in the butter and brush on after they came out of the oven."