Italian Beef Tortellini Stew Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 small carrots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each dried oregano, basil and marjoram
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in 2 tablespoon oil; drain. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute the zucchini, onion, celery and carrots in remaining oil until tender. Add the garlic, oregano, basil and marjoram; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Return beef to pan; add the tomatoes, broth, sugar and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Add tortellini and spinach. Return to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 7-9 minutes or until tortellini are tender. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups: 416 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 642mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 26g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Italian Beef Tortellini Stew
"Didnt have any zucchini so threw in a few over veggies, good taste"
"Followed the recipe as written. Mine turned out quite soupy and the zucchini was mushy. Next time I think I will cut back on the crushed tomatoes and beef broth a bit and put the zucchini in when the tortellini and spinach is added."
"We really enjoyed this and would make it again. The only problem was the tortellini got a bit mushy when reheating the leftovers, but that is to be expected I suppose. Nice & hearty!"
"This was absolutely fantastic. Such a hearty dish full of wonderful veggies. I didn't experience problems at all. The meat was so tender and the pasta and veggies were perfect. Definitely a keeper!!"
"The flavors in this dish were great, and I loved the combination of tortellini and beef. However, the beef stew meat that I used didn't get quite as tender as desired - I think I prefer the beef stew chunks to have a longer cooking time, perhaps in the slow cooker. Regardless, this was a tasty combination of veggies, meat, and pasta, and made for a delicious hearty dinner."
"This was a very rich and hearty stew, perfect for a cold winter night. It was a perfect "all in one" meal with the assortment of vegetables, the pasta and the beef cubes. The only problem I had was that mine burned a little on the bottom of my Dutch oven. I think I will need to reduce the simmering time by about 15 minutes on my stove. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed the dish and would make it again!"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.