Italian Beef Tortellini Stew Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 small carrots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each dried oregano, basil and marjoram
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in 2 tablespoon oil; drain. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute the zucchini, onion, celery and carrots in remaining oil until tender. Add the garlic, oregano, basil and marjoram; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Return beef to pan; add the tomatoes, broth, sugar and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Add tortellini and spinach. Return to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 7-9 minutes or until tortellini are tender. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 416 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 642 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.