Italian Beef Stew Recipe
- 3/4 pound beef cubed steak, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 1/2 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, brown meat over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the water, tomato sauce, potato, carrot, onion, red pepper, soup mix, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- 2. Stir in peas; simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
1-3/4 cups (prepared with reduced-sodium soup mix) equals 360 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 784 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 44 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.