Looking for a heartwarming meal-in-one on a nippy autumn evening? Try this hearty stew from Margaret Peschke in Hadley, New York. Cubed steak makes it quick and economical. Tip: Combine leftover onion soup mix with 1-1/2 cups sour cream for a tasty dip, or with 3 cups water for soup.
- 3/4 pound beef cubed steak, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 1/2 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, brown meat over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the water, tomato sauce, potato, carrot, onion, red pepper, soup mix, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Stir in peas; simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Italian Beef Stew in Cooking for 2 Fall 2007, p6
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review