- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the celery, carrots and potatoes. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, bay leaf and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat and barley are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Serve desired amount. Cool remaining soup; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan and heat through. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Italian Beef Barley Stew
"I love love love barley! This was a very good hearty soup. I couldn't bring myself to add celery. I just don't like celery."
"I boil the barley (low boil) a little before adding and it makes the stew great. I have also tried a small can of chicken stock added with the canned tomato's and it came out great."
"Very good hearty soup that entire family enjoyed. Husband said this was a keeper!"
"Very good! I used V-8 juice instead of tomato juice . Served it with cornbread. Really hit the spot! Will definitely make again!"
"Super tasty, easy, cheap, and healthy. love it."