Italian Beef and Shells Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 small yellow summer squash, quartered and sliced
- 1 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the marinara sauce, squash, zucchini, wine and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened. Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture and heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
1-3/4 cups: 396 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 644mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 5g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat.
Reviews for Italian Beef and Shells
"I substituted ground turkey for the ground beef. Delicious!~ Theresa"
"tasty, healthy, easy, and not too expensive to make, overall a great meal!"
"Very good and easy. I also added chopped carrots."
"Easy to make and awesome!"
"Very good Recipe simple and I love the use of squash. This has become a staple in my household."
"Easy and Delicious! No complaints here :D"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.