Italian Beef and Shells
A hearty entree comes easy tonight with this veggie and pasta combo. Wine lends an extra touch of flavor to the sauce and makes this main dish a winner. —Mike Tchou, Pepper Pike, Ohio
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (23 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 small yellow summer squash, quartered and sliced
- 1 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and garlic over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the
- marinara sauce, squash, zucchini, wine and seasonings. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until
- thickened. Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture and heat through.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-3/4 cups equals 396 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 644 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber,