Italian Beef and Shells Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 small yellow summer squash, quartered and sliced
- 1 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the marinara sauce, squash, zucchini, wine and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened. Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture and heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
1-3/4 cups equals 396 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 644 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.