A veggie and pasta combo makes a hearty entree that comes together easily. Wine lends an extra touch of flavor to the sauce and makes this main dish a winner. —Mike Tchou, Pepper Pike, Ohio
Featured In: 70 Best Ground Beef Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 small yellow summer squash, quartered and sliced
- 1 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the marinara sauce, squash, zucchini, wine and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened. Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture and heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Italian Beef and Shells in Simple & Delicious October/November 2010, p30
Reviews forItalian Beef and Shells
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2013
"Very good and easy. I also added chopped carrots."
Reviewed Oct. 25, 2011
"easy to make and awesome!"
Reviewed Jun. 26, 2011
"Very good Recipe simple and I love the use of squash. This has become a staple in my household."
Reviewed Nov. 10, 2010
"easy and Delicious! No complaints here :D"