"I make this beef in the slow cooker when I'm having a party so I don't have to spend the whole time in the kitchen," reports Lori Hayes, Venice, Florida. "The meat smells so delicious, I can hardly keep my husband from helping himself ahead of time!" For a robust sandwich, serve the shredded beef on a roll spread with horseradish sauce.
- 1 beef top round roast (4 pounds)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon each salt, dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, dried parsley flakes and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 French rolls (5 inches long)
- Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the water and seasonings; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or until meat is very tender. Discard bay leaf. Remove meat and shred with a fork. Skim fat from cooking juices; return meat to slow cooker. Serve on rolls. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Italian Beef in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p20
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Italian Beef
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review