Italian Beans and Pasta Recipe
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt or garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, beans, spaghetti sauce, celery, onion and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve over pasta. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (prepared with garlic powder and no-salt-added stewed tomatoes; calculated without pasta) equals 205 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.