Italian Bean Soup Recipe
This budget-friendly bean soup with orzo, potato and veggies is so hearty, you won’t even notice it’s meatless. —Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, potato and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, parsley and pesto. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- 2. Add spinach and cook just until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Yield: 6 servings (about 2 quarts).
1-1/3 cups with 2 teaspoons cheese equals 224 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 1,029 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC