- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, potato and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, parsley and pesto. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Add spinach and cook just until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Yield: 6 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Italian Bean Soup(11)
Sort By :
This is one of my favorite soup recipes. The flavor is great and my family loves it. I usually add extra spinach and I use veggie broth instead of chicken to make it vegetarian. I freeze leftovers in individual serving-sized containers so that we have an easy option for taking lunch to work.
This is a great hearty, healthy soup. I made a few changes to it because I didn't have pesto or Italian stewed tomatoes. I used diced tomatoes with sweet onion and a couple of teaspoons of Italian seasoning. I also left out the potato and added carrot. My 8 year old even loved this recipe.
Easy to make, very good. I used about 2-3 times the amount of spinach that it called for to give it some extra color.
I made this soup on the spur of the moment after looking through my 2012 Quick Cooking Annual for a quick and easy bean soup. I had everything I needed to make this and it went over really well here at our house. I did use frozen cut leaf spinach, as that's what I had, and used rice instead of orzo because I don't eat wheat. I will definitely be making this again. A wonderful recipe, especially for a chilly night!
Excellent flavor. What more is there to say?
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Simple Quick Recipes >
- Simple Recipes >