- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups Ragú® Old World Style® Traditional
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 8 ounces ziti or small tube pasta
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, basil and 1/2 teaspoon oregano. Cover and simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper.
- Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the pasta, a third of the meat sauce and half of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and oregano.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Baked Ziti
Sort By :
"I have made this several times and I always enjoy it!"
"This is a very good ziti. Just remember to give yourself plenty of time. 3 hours for the sauce plus an hour for baking."
"I made this recipe and followed directions exactly. Ended up with not much sauce or cheese mixture. I will have to double it next time."
"My favorite pasta dish I love it!!"
"This is great. Everyone that I have served it to they really like it. It will be made again and again.For snaller entre use a 8X8 baking dish and freeze one ofr later."