- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked angel hair pasta
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper; add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil on each side. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In the same skillet, saute garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Stir in the broth, tomato puree, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Pour sauce into a small bowl and keep warm. Return chicken to the pan; top with mozzarella and tomato. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Arrange pasta on a large serving platter; top with chicken. Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Italian Baked Chicken
"Very good. I did think it was a bit bland as written. It may have been partially my fault as I forgot to salt my pasta water. Will definitely make again but add a bit more seasoning."
"Easy to make and so delicious. Will definitely make again."
"easy, tasty and can be made almost any time with such basic ingredients."
"We really liked this dish I only had diced tomatoes, so I cooked the sauce a little longer. It worked well. I will make it again for sure,"
"We love Italian chicken recipes and this one will get made again really soon. So tasty!No need to modify this recipe."