Italian Baked Chicken Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked angel hair pasta
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper; add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil on each side. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Stir in the broth, tomato puree, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Pour mixture over chicken.
- 3. Cover and bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- 4. Remove chicken and set aside. Pour sauce into a small bowl and keep warm. Return chicken to the pan; top with mozzarella and tomato. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Arrange pasta on a large serving platter; top with chicken. Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast half (calculated without pasta) equals 477 calories, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 1,124 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 46 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.