It's-It Ice Cream Sandwiches Recipe
You'll discover why the treat is so popular in San Francisco. It's snack heaven...ice cream, delicious oatmeal cookies and a touch of chocolate. Swap out the vanilla for your favorite flavor, such as chocolate, caramel or cherry. — Jacyn Siebert, San Francisco, CA
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup chopped raisins, optional
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 bottle (7-1/4 ounces) chocolate hard-shell ice cream topping
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in oats and, if desired, raisins.
- 2. Shape into fourteen 1-1/4-in. balls; place 2-1/2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 11-13 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pans 3 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. To assemble ice cream sandwiches, place 1/3 cup ice cream on bottom of a cookie. Top with a second cookie, pressing gently to flatten ice cream. Place on a baking sheet; freeze until firm. Repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream.
- 4. Remove ice cream sandwiches from the freezer. Working over a small bowl, drizzle chocolate topping over half of each sandwich, allowing excess to drip off.
- 5. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; freeze until serving. Wrap individually in plastic wrap for longer storage. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for It's-It Ice Cream Sandwiches
Reviewed Aug. 11, 2014
"So yummy!! The cookies remain chewing even straight out of the freezer. Next time I will make smaller cookies, as these are huge!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC