Israeli Pepper Tomato Salad
"This Israeli salad, which is traditionally eaten at breakfast, lends itself to endless variety...you can add foods like olives, beets or potatoes," says Sandy Long of Lees Summit, Missouri
9 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 6 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 each medium sweet red, yellow and green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly slices
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons each minced fresh cilantro, parsley, dill and mint
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumber,
- carrot, green onions, jalapeno and herbs. In a small bowl, whisk
- together the remaining ingredients. Pour over the tomato mixture;
- toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 72 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.