Island Jerk Chicken Recipe
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 teaspoons ground allspice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. Pour 1/2 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight. Transfer remaining marinade to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate for basting.
- 3. Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Drain and discard marinade. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°, basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast half equals 168 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 437 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.