Isaiah's Gingerbread Pancakes with Apple Slaw Recipe
- 2 cups gluten-free pancake mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon brewed coffee, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 medium apples, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Maple syrup, warmed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine the egg yolks, rice milk, coffee, oil and molasses; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- 2. Pour batter by scant 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the apples, pecans, raisins, lemon juice and honey. Serve with pancakes and syrup. Yield: 10 servings (3 cups slaw).
2 pancakes with 1/4 cup slaw (calculated without syrup) equals 225 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 231 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 fruit.