Irresistible English Toffee Recipe
The name says it all—this toffee truly is irresistible! The secrets to its success are the smoked almonds and Symphony candy bar. —Melanie Hanni, Blackfoot, Idaho
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + standing YIELD:24 servings
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (6 ounces) smoked almonds, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Symphony candy bar with almonds and toffee (8 ounces), chopped
- 1. Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- 2. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup and salt; stir in remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in almonds and extract. Immediately pour into prepared pan.
- 3. Sprinkle with candy bar; spread with a knife when melted. Let stand until set, about 1 hour. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1-1/2 pounds.
1 ounce equals 204 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 119 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC