Irresistible Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
- WHOLE WHEAT CRUST:
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cold milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- In a bowl, combine whole wheat flour, sugar and salt. Combine oil and milk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened (mixture will be crumbled). Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, combine sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Gradually stir in 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in coconut, butter and vanilla until butter is melted.
- Pour hot filling into crust. In a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in marshmallow creme on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Irresistible Coconut Cream Pie(4)
Sort By :
I have made this many times. It is always excellent. If I am in a hurry I use a Marie Calendars pie crust. I use 1/2 tsp coconut flavoring and 1/2 tswp vanilla for the pudding. We like the added coconut taste.
This is a yummy recipe! I made just a couple of changes. I didn't have whole wheat flour on hand so I made a regular pie crust. I substituted 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract for the 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract in the filling. My family loves the taste of coconut. The pie was awesome and everyone loved it.
I made this pie today for my husband. We both loved it. It is so delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and it came out perfect. I don't usually care for meringue but this one was so good because of the marshmallow cream. We both love coconut desserts so I will definitely be making this again.
This pie was delicious! The crust is easy to make and the marshmallow creme is perfect on the top - I have made this pie many times and it is always good!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Coconut Cream Pie Recipes >
- Coconut Creme Pie >
- Coconut Pie >
- Coconut Pie Crust >