- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt. In another bowl, whisk oil and milk. Gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until moistened (mixture will be crumbly). Press onto bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a heavy saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, coconut and vanilla.
- For meringue, in a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add marshmallow creme, beating on high speed. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Transfer hot filling to crust. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing to edge of crust. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Irresistible Coconut Cream Pie
"just made it looks delicious now I have to wait til it cools love the marshmellow cr?me with the meringue!!!"
"Delicious pie recipe!!! Turns out perfect every time and a big hit with friends and family!!!"
"I have made this many times. It is always excellent. If I am in a hurry I use a Marie Calendars pie crust. I use 1/2 tsp coconut flavoring and 1/2 tswp vanilla for the pudding. We like the added coconut taste."
"This is a yummy recipe! I made just a couple of changes. I didn't have whole wheat flour on hand so I made a regular pie crust. I substituted 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract for the 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract in the filling. My family loves the taste of coconut. The pie was awesome and everyone loved it."
"I made this pie today for my husband. We both loved it. It is so delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and it came out perfect. I don't usually care for meringue but this one was so good because of the marshmallow cream. We both love coconut desserts so I will definitely be making this again."