The easy pat-in crust has a rich grain flour and is topped with old-fashioned coconut cream and a fluffy meringue. It's irresistible.—Roberta Foster, Kingfisher, Oklahoma
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt. In another bowl, mix oil and milk. Gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until moistened (mixture will be crumbly). Press onto bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a heavy saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, coconut and vanilla.
- For meringue, in a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add marshmallow creme, beating on high speed. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Transfer hot filling to crust. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing to edge of crust. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Cream Pie in Taste of Home December/January 2001, p44
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Irresistible Coconut Cream Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review