Irish Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lamb stew meat
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1 small turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried marjoram, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown lamb in oil over medium-high heat. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Add the potatoes, onion, carrot, turnip and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, milk and, if desired, browning sauce until smooth; stir into stew. Add parsley. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 279 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 469mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Irish Stew
"Very comforting stew lots of flavor. My family just loves this stew."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.