Irish Soda Muffins
"Who says muffins have to be boring? These little gems are always a hit.," says Camille Wisniewski of Jackson, New Jersey. "I subsitute blueberries when they are in season for the raisins."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1/3 cup raisins
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder,
- baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the sour cream, oil and
- egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in
- Fill six greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full. Sprinkle with
- remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5
- minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 232 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 235 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.