Irish Soda Bread
An Irish meal wouldn't be complete without a lovely loaf of Irish Soda Bread. This recipe makes a beautiful high loaf of bread dotted with sweet raisins. It doesn't last long at our house this time of year. —Gloria Warczak, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking
- soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk 1
- egg and buttermilk. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- Fold in raisins.
- Knead on a floured surface for 1 minute. Shape into a round loaf;
- place on a greased baking sheet. Cut a 1/4-in.-deep cross in top of
- loaf. Beat remaining egg; brush over loaf.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 210 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 441 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.