VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 large sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup stout beer or additional chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 10 slices French bread baguette (1/4 inch thick)
- 10 slices white cheddar cheese
- 1 log (11 ounces) fresh goat cheese, sliced
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms, sunflower kernels, rosemary, pepper and remaining salt. Cook 8-10 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender. Stir in the broth, beer, brown sugar and potatoes; heat through.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet; top with cheeses. Broil 3-4 inches from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Ladle soup into bowls; top each with a cheese toast. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Irish Onion Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p196