Irish Oatmeal Brulee Recipe
“With its mild maple flavor and crispy broiled topping, this oatmeal is comforting yet special. I often use dried cherries instead of the raisins and add star anise to spice it up a bit.” —Rose Ann Wilson, Germantown, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + simmering Broil: 5 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 8 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 orange peel strip (1 to 3 inches)
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Buttermilk, optional
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium heat. Add the oats, cinnamon, orange peel and salt. Reduce heat; simmer for 30 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Remove from the heat; discard cinnamon and orange peel. Stir in the cranberries, raisins, syrup and a small amount of buttermilk if desired. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.
- 3. Transfer to eight ungreased 6-oz. ramekins. Place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 437 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 154 mg sodium, 83 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC