Irish Lamb Stew Recipe
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 8 pearl onions, peeled
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Hot biscuits
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 4 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper. Add lamb; shake to coat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, brown lamb in oil on all sides. Add water and dill; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- 3. Add the onions, carrots and potatoes. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- 4. In a small bowl, place remaining flour; stir in cream until smooth. Stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with biscuits. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 367 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 496 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.