Irish Freckle Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup warm mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water. Add the butter, eggs, potatoes, salt, remaining sugar and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in raisins and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into eight portions. Shape each into a ball. Place dough balls in a greased 10-in. springform pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove sides of pan. Place on a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf, 12 servings.
Reviews for Irish Freckle Bread
Sort By :
i like this bread-i have made it into smaller balls and baked it in two pans. i have never had a problem with it turning out doughy
Great tasting bread! Yummy! However, it seemed to be too much dough for one pan. Total baking time was over 45 minutes. The edges kept getting browner but the center remained doughy. Next time I will try 2 pans.