Irish Beef Stew Recipe
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound whole fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup dark stout beer or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a stock pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Brown beef in the bacon drippings. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the mushrooms, leeks, carrots and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato paste until blended. Add the broth, beer, bay leaves, thyme, parsley and rosemary. Return beef and bacon to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add potatoes. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour longer or until potatoes are tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add peas; heat through. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 15 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Irish Beef Stew(18)
Sort By :
Excellent! Very tasty.
This is wonderful! Ditto everything Jubilee9527 said!!!!!
This was SUCH a good stew! My husband and I really enjoyed it, the flavor is amazing and it is so thick and robust! It smelled wonderful cooking, too!
My family loved this!
This was very easy and excellent. I made it when company stopped by. Didnt get enough so I had to make another batch the next day.
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Irish Dinners >
- Irish Recipes >
- Irish Stew >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Stew Recipes >
- Pea Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >