- In a stockpot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a
- slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. In a large resealable plastic
- bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a
- time, and shake to coat. Brown beef in the bacon drippings. Remove
- and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the mushrooms, leeks, carrots and celery in
- oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato
- paste until blended. Add the broth, beer, bay leaves, thyme, parsley
- and rosemary. Return beef and bacon to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add potatoes. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour
- longer or until potatoes are tender. Combine cornstarch and water
- until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened. Add peas; heat through. Discard bay
- leaves. Yield: 15 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 301 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 441 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.